Sunday, October 10, 2010

[Killzone] Everyone Starts Somewhere

I am a former 40K player. I played back in 2nd edition, in the most half-assed, ridiculously lazy fashion possible. I loved the game at the time, because I did not take it seriously and had a blast.

I'm looking at getting back into 40K, and it just so happens that within a week of seriously looking at the rules again, I happened across BigJim's Special Operations:Killzone project.

A small, fast, fun game that wasn't 500+ pages of rules? This was the thing for me! Killzone appealed to me as a player rediscovering the game because it seemed to be aimed at the point of 40K- having fun. It appeared to be deceptively simple, with incredible depth and elegance under those pretty, shiny covers of "fast".

Thanks BigJim, for making my reentry to 40K so exciting.I haven't played a game of Killzone yet. I haven't made an army list yet. I haven't designed an awesome Killzone Table or scenario yet. I haven't done anything tangible towards actively being part of the Killzone movement- but I feel like I've taken  huge steps towards being a fan of this very cool looking game.
I've picked an army, so that I CAN build a Killzone SOP team. I've passed the Killzone link to 4-5 people in my local circle, as well as plugged BigJim to the best of my ability. I've talked to folks about both the rules and the community aspect of this great idea, and done what I can to get people on board with something very fun and fresh.

I can't wait to see how things actually go once I have dudes on the table and someone to play!

4 comments:

  1. Well, the first step is admitting you have a problem. Wait, that's not right, is it?

    The neat thing about Killzone for me is that I don't have enough units of any one faction to make a legitimate army list for games above like 500 points. With how cool Killzone is, why limit yourself to one army :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. CounterFett: I agree. However, I have NO guys.

    All the Space Marines in the house belong to my husband.

    Most of my friends will let me proxy (or borrow), so I might get a game or two in the next week of two. If so, I'll definitely tell all about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I look forward to seeing this. I'm starting a Killzone team myself. It's fun seeing what other players put together.

    Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cool! It will be great to hear about your experiences returning to 40k with Killzone and to get your take on the game. That's fantastic that you've been helping to spread the word, too. I'm excited to learn more about the team you have in mind, good luck!

    ReplyDelete