Monday, January 19, 2015

My obsession continues

I have a problem- I'm more than a little obsessed with Prince.


The man is gorgeous, sexy, talented and blows my mind every time I listen to him. I have an incredibly large amount of his music and I am endlessly inspired by his stuff.

I also sort of have a problem with angels, and happen to have an extremely extensive collection of angel related things.

Can you see where this is going?


In case it's not obvious, this is a Magic:the Gathering card that's been altered. It started as an angel, and I had it painted to be Prince.

the original card art 



Magic offers beautiful art on a small, affordable scale. I love that about it- you don't have to pay a ton of money to have something lovely.

Altering cards is a genuine 'scene' - it exists outside of actually playing the game, and there are a LOT of artists making really good money doing it. Altering takes the small scale and transforms it into anything you can imagine.



This is my all time favorite piece, seen here: 
http://www.sandreline.com/alterations/textless/baneslayer-angel

Her work is stunning and I want to move to France just so I can have her alter all my cards. This Baneslayer is actually a single part of a two piece set :



Other works can  be silly:




All by Klug, considered one of the best in the business

Most alters take an idea either from the card content or theme and twist it up. The superhero ones seen above are good examples, at least in premise of this concept. The most obvious one is the Gideon- he's a "good guy"  that uses white (often seen as Justice and Law). 

Other alters are less obvious: 

The Green Ranger is a Beast

My idea was to take the only male angel in the entirety of the MtG art world and turn him into my favorite musician. I want to create a 9 card set that uses angels or angel related cards and turns them into the Revolution. It'll be fun!


4 comments:

  1. That's amazing its incredible how these little niche markets spring up and how people with genuine talent can turn there artistic skills to anything not that I'm jealous or anything

    Dragons_Claw

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for dropping in, DC! Uh, how did you find me? >oo<

      Delete
    2. There's no corner of the Web I leave unrandomized my spies are everywhere and I have omnipotent powers either that or your on the HOP blogroll one or the other.

      Not the first time I've dropped by but you use one of those captcha things and I'm terrible at them I usually quite in frustration and am secretly scared I might be a robot

      Dragons_Claw

      Delete
    3. You should not need to do the captcha thingy on new posts. The old ones, maybe. I want commenting to be as easy as possible.

      Delete